Macaroni and cheese is a staple dish in many households and ours is no exception. Our baked macaroni and cheese recipe is one of the best we have ever had and it’s especially unique because it is gluten free. If you love super cheesy macaroni and cheese with crispy baked breadcrumb toppings then this recipe is for you!
Our gluten free baked macaroni recipe uses cheddar cheese as well as parmesan cheese, but feel free to mix your cheese choices up and try a new mixture! We have tried this recipe with adding bacon and it adds a nice contrast to the flavor as well.
This gluten free mac and cheese takes about 30 minutes of prep time and 30 minutes of cook time. It will serve about 12 people.
Ingredients You Need to Make Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 oz pasta
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup King Arthur Gluten Free Flour (or all purpose flour if making non gluten free)
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 6 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups of panko bread crumbs
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
Tips for Making the Best Macaroni and Cheese
To make our baked mac and cheese we recommend trying the following:
- We find that hand shredding the cheese does ensure easier melting than if you use pre-shredded cheese. However, we have made it both ways and both have turned out great.
- We have made this baked mac and cheese with penne pasta as well as macaroni elbows. In our opinion the elbows are much better when you reheat it the next day.
- We recommend cooking the pasta just below the done point. With this recipe, the noodles will finish cooking in the cheese sauce in the oven.
Cooking Tools You will Need
When it comes to cooking utensils needed you will need to have measuring cups, a large saucepan, glassing baking dish, strainer, large pot, oven mitts, a mixing bowl, cheese grater, whisk, and a serving spoon.
How to Make Gluten Free Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease your glass baking dish. We typical use a a 4 quart dish
- Shred your cheese into a large mixing bowl
- Boil water and cook your pasta. We recommend leaving it slightly less done as it can finish cooking in the oven.
- Once you drain the water from the pot, pour your extra virgin olive oil over the noodles and mix them.
- In your saucepan, melt the butter
- Adjust to medium heat and whisk in the flour.
- Whisk until this turns golden brown or you see bubbles
- Whisk in the milk
- Whisk in the heavy whipping cream
- Continue to whisk until your sauce is boiling, then continue for another 1.5-2 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to the sauce
- Add 2 cups of you cheddar cheese to the saucepan and whisk until smooth
- Add another 2 cups of cheddar cheese and whisk until smooth
- Pour in your noodles
- In another mixing bowl, combine the panko bread crumbs, melted butter and parmesan cheese
- Pour your noodle and cheese mixture into the glass dish and cover with the bread crumb mixture
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown
Make Baked Macaroni and Cheese For Your Next Gathering
Macaroni and Cheese is a favorite at any gallering! So, try making your own following our recipe and share it with your family and friends at your next gathering. Making our favorite Baked Macaroni and Cheese for a special occasion? Tag us on Instagram so we can see what you made!
Until next time…